Monday, January 12, 2015

Why I Read

I primarily read to escape from reality. Although TV and movies can provide similar diversions, nothing can replace the immersive power of human imagination. You develop deeper attachments to stories and characters you helped develop with your own creativity. You can escape more completely when your mind is your vehicle.



I’m also fascinated by the English language itself. Reading both novels and poetry provides inspiration for my own writing by enhancing my vocabulary and introducing me to new topics and character dynamics to write about. Many of my poems are image-driven, so I’m always enlightened by new ways authors convert dry, monochromatic text into tangible, sensory experiences. F. Scott Fitzgerald mastered this in The Great Gatsby, as evidenced in this still from the film version of the novel:



Books also educate me about life in the past. I recently read East of Eden by John Steinbeck, and it detailed the strenuous labor of settlers in the American west. It also informed me of how cars were introduced to the general public, how Chinese immigrants were abused in the building of railroads, and how astounded people were by the onset of WWII. Books such as East of Eden educate me about my national heritage, allowing me to learn from past mistakes and have empathy for those I encounter in the present.


No comments:

Post a Comment